Throughout his legal career, Matt has had the good fortune to work in diverse legal environments ranging from a five-person Topeka insurance defense boutique to a large Kansas City full service law firm with offices throughout the United States. This diversity has allowed Matt to develop a broad practice encompassing many different areas of civil trial work. Representative areas of Matt’s trial practice include: trust and estate; personal injury (plaintiff and defense); patent and trademark infringement; divorce/paternity/child custody; condemnation; partnership disputes; business dissolution; covenants not to compete; real estate disputes; commercial and residential construction; rent and possession and appellate work.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center – 2003
- B.A., University of Kansas, With Honors – 1999
- Kansas, 2003
- District Court for the District of Kansas, 2003
- Missouri, 2005
- District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2005
- Collaborative Divorce Professionals of Greater Kansas City
- Kansas Bar Associations
- Missouri Bar
- Johnson County Bar Associations
- Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court, Graduate
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association
Collaborative Divorce Professionals of Greater Kansas City
- Matt is a member of Collaborative Divorce Professionals of Greater Kansas City (CDPKC), a group of attorneys, financial planners and mental health professionals committed to a collaborative approach to divorce. In collaborative divorce, the parties work together to achieve an agreed resolution that recognizes and validates the concerns of all parties. For more information about collaborative divorce, please visit the CDPKC website at www.collablawmo.com/.
- Kansas City Power & Light Co. v. Strong, 302 Kan. 712, 356 P.3d 1064 (2015) – Matt represented clients in obtaining a $2 million jury verdict for condemnation of approximately 13 acres of land by Kansas City Power & Light Co. for a utility easement. The Kansas Supreme Court affirmed the jury verdict on appeal and approved the method used at trial to value the harm inflicted by the taking.
- Executive Board of Directors, Metro United Soccer Club
When not practicing law, Matt spends time with his wife, Olivia, and three children, Declan, Finley and Langston, watching sports, fishing, biking, and partaking in other outdoor activities. Matt grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, and graduated from Lawrence High School in 1995.