Litigation is never a goal, but it is all-too often an unfortunate reality. Successful businesses and individuals must decide how to assert their rights when they have been wronged and how best to defend themselves when faced with claims from customers, competitors and the general public. Sage Law, LLP has decades of experience helping its clients protect their rights and make these hard choices for themselves, their businesses and their families.
Sage Law has the legal mettle to protect your rights in and outside the courtroom. Their litigators have tried cases in state and federal courts in Kansas, Missouri, and California with additional practice experience in Georgia, Ohio, and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits. Sage Law understands the intricacies of complex litigation and knows how to present your interests persuasively to judges and juries.
We try cases. Often, however, the best litigation is the one where careful planning and skilled legal work prevent the matter from ever making it to trial. Sage Law is committed to provide active and straightforward advice, allowing us to anticipate issues and resolve them quickly before they result in expensive litigation. We have experience with many forms of alternative dispute resolution and case management to get you the best result possible without the expense and risk of the courtroom. We have handled cases with the American Arbitration Association and have successfully settled dozens of cases through formal and informal mediation. Sage Law is committed to providing successful, cost-effective results that allow you to focus on your life and work.
Our litigation experience includes the following:
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Business Dissolution
- Contract & Partnership Disputes
- Education Law
- Family Law
- Insurance Claims
- Landowner Liability
- Personal Injury
- Regulatory Violations
- School Finance Litigation
- Securities Fraud
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Unfair Trade Practice
- Wrongful Death
A representative sample of our litigation victories includes:
- Kansas City Power & Light Co. v. Strong, 302 Kan. 712, 356 P.3d 1064 (2015) – (obtaining a $2 million jury verdict for condemnation of approximately 13 acres of land by Kansas City Power & Light Co. for a utility easement and maintaining this verdict on appeal).
- Time Warner Cable v. Sun Communities (Wyandotte Cty., KS 2011) (protecting the rights of a cable provider to serve customers in Kansas City, Kansas despite efforts by landowners to preclude such service).
- Pacific Fuel Co., LLC v. Shell Oil Co., No. 2:06-cv-00225-AG-AJW (C.D. Cal. 2009) (receiving a jury award of over $4 million based on a fraud perpetrated on the operator of multiple gas stations by the world’s second largest oil company).
- Kestrel Holdings I, L.L.C. v. Learjet Inc. (Sedgwick Cty., KS 2007) (prevailed in million-dollar litigation involving an airplane with manufacturing defects).