Jason is a transactional attorney with broad experience in a variety of areas, including commercial real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and general business matters. Jason’s experience includes: advising clients in connection with real estate and financing transactions; drafting and negotiating all manner of commercial agreements, including purchase and sale agreements, retail, office, industrial, and telecommunications leases, and a variety of other commercial contracts; navigating complex title issues and other due diligence matters; reviewing loan documents such as notes, mortgages, and other security instruments; providing counsel on the formation and management of business entities; completing asset, stock, and membership interest transfers, acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, and other business transactions; and assisting with business litigation matters and settlement of disputes.
- Represented commercial real estate investors in purchase of numerous NNN properties, managing deals from inception of contract negotiations through closing and resolution of post-closing matters.
- Represented buyer in multistate purchase and financing of more than 14,000 acres of agricultural land for $12 million, providing additional counsel on complex title issues and riparian rights.
- Represented seller in negotiation and closing of $40 million sale of multifamily housing complex with 200+ units, advising on ancillary matters including commercial loan defeasance and 1031-exchange.
- Assisted with closing on purchase of commercial property and assumption of underlying loan for $10.4 million, resolving title objections and preparing opinion letter regarding enforceability.
- Drafted contract for $3 million sale of development site by family trust, and handled resolution of issues concerning title irregularities, termination of tenancy rights, and public relations concerns.
- Represented buyer in $1.3 million purchase of industrial building, including complex negotiations with adjacent owners to acquire multiple easements for cross-access, parking, and utilities.
- Counseled sellers owned by family trusts in sale of two adjacent apartment buildings for $1.35 million, negotiating with multiple bidders to obtain optimal price and terms for contract.
- Assisted property owners in securing and closing FHA-insured loan in order to restructure financing on a multifamily housing project valued at more than $3 million.
- Represented national real estate developer in acquisition, financing, and resale of numerous retail development sites, including negotiation of leases with national and regional brand retailers.
- Negotiated numerous office and warehouse leases across the Midwest region on behalf of national agribusiness company as tenant.
- Assisted in procuring and negotiating multiple telecommunications leases for public entity as landlord, acquiring considerable knowledge of the industry and the market for use in future negotiations.
- Prepared and negotiated numerous retail leases for landlords in multiple shopping centers owned by privately held, commonly owned real estate holding companies.
- Served as outside general counsel to large-scale industrial hemp startup, including initial formation of company, completion of multiple cross-purchase and redemption agreements among owners, negotiation of numerous commercial contracts and leases, and management of litigation team in successful prosecution of claims in “bet-the-company” litigation and arbitration.
- Represented regional multimedia company in $165 million divestiture of cable/broadband division and subsequent sale of affiliate supplying online publications and related services.
- Advised closely held industrial contracting company through internal negotiations for organizational restructure, drafting operative documents, including stock purchase and exchange agreement, buy-sell agreement, financing instruments, and amended and restated organizational documents.
- Counseled transportation company in acquisition of competing business and assumption of student transportation contract providing primary source of revenue.
- Served as real estate counsel for buyer in $21 million asset purchase agreement involving acquisition of manufacturing business and industrial facilities in multiple states.
- Assisted real estate development company in $7.6 million redemption of membership interests and negotiation of liabilities concerning environmental remediation.
- Restructured commercial borrower’s life insurance premium financing and mortgage-backed loans into new financing package including term loans and revolving line of credit totaling $17.8 million.
- Represented both buyers and sellers in completion of various asset purchase agreements (including real estate holdings) and transfers of franchisee rights and related agreements involving multiple franchise locations for national restaurant chains.
- Assisted individual member of closely held company in successfully soliciting buyout of LLC interests and release from guaranty of bank loans following distribution of interests from family trust.
- Coordinated overhaul of corporate records for industrial holding company and multiple subsidiaries, including amending corporate bylaws, restructuring stock ownership records, and updating minutes. Subsequently completed upstream merger of subsidiaries into parent corporation.
- Negotiated settlement to enforce contract for $2.9 million purchase of ranch property following seller’s attempt to renege, obtaining lower price per acre than originally negotiated by parties.
- Served as second chair on trial team that successfully defended a Kansas municipality from claims filed by a nationally recognized real estate developer, which sought damages in excess of $4.5 million in relation to failed plans for a mixed-use development. Successfully argued motion for partial dismissal of claims, obtained judgment in favor of defendant, and secured confirmation of judgment on appeal.
- Prepared appellate brief on behalf of a corporate executive in defense of a $21 million lawsuit alleging breach of contract, fraud, and negligence following the firm’s successful efforts to obtain summary judgment in favor of defendant on all counts.
- Assisted in defending multiple real estate brokers and agents in Kansas and Missouri from adverse claims of up to $1 million, based on allegations including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, negligence, fraud, and violation of consumer protection act, reaching favorable settlements in all cases. Successfully argued motion for partial summary judgment.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. (2004)
- Fort Hays State University, B.A., Summa Cum Laude (2001)
- Kansas (2004)
- Missouri (2005)
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
Honors & Achievements:
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Graduate of Leadership Olathe (2009)
- Kansas City Football and Cheerleading (KCFC) – Board of Directors (2014 – present)
- Football Chairman, Executive Board Member (2016 – 2022)
- Area Director, Blue Valley Southwest (2016 – present)
- Area Director, Olathe South (2014 – 2017)
- USA Football Player Safety Coach & Board Liaison (2014 – 2017)
- Football Coach (2012 – present)
- KCFC Person of the Year (2017)
- KCFC Hall of Fame Inductee (2021)
Olathe Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors (2012 – 2017)
- Chairman of the Board (2015)
- Executive Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Economic Development Council (2012 – 2017)
- Business to Government Advisory Council (2011 – 2017)
Olathe Public Schools Foundation – Board of Directors (2009 – 2012)
- Program Committee Chairman (2012)
- E2 Committee Chairman (2011)