Trials are challenging prospects that require substantial time, energy and financial resources from even the most experienced litigants. Civil litigation does not end with the jury verdict or a court’s final judgment. Defending a winning verdict on appeal or reversing a negative one is just as important to your business and financial well-being as the initial result.
An appeal is not a second chance at trial. Sage Law LLP understands that effective appellate advocacy requires different skills than those needed for trial success. Trials establish facts, requiring skillful presentation and articulation of a story to persuade a jury or judge. Appellate counsel must convince judicial panels not about the facts or their interpretations, but about the proper application of technical law and procedure to those facts. Trial attorneys use evidence to create a factual narrative. Appellate lawyers take those established facts to weave a winning legal tapestry.
We try cases. Often, however, the best litigation is the one where careful planning and skilled legal work prevent the matter from ever making it to trial. Sage Law is committed to provide active and straightforward advice, allowing us to anticipate issues and resolve them quickly before they result in expensive litigation. We have experience with many forms of alternative dispute resolution and case management to get you the best result possible without the expense and risk of the courtroom. We have handled cases with the American Arbitration Association and have successfully settled dozens of cases through formal and informal mediation. Sage Law is committed to providing successful, cost-effective results that allow you to focus on your life and work.
Our litigation experience includes the following:
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Business Dissolution
- Contract & Partnership Disputes
- Education Law
- Family Law
- Insurance Claims
- Landowner Liability
- Personal Injury
- Regulatory Violations
- School Finance Litigation
- Securities Fraud
- Shareholder Disputes
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Unfair Trade Practice
- Wrongful Death
A representative sample of our litigation victories includes:
- Kansas City Power & Light Co. v. Strong, 302 Kan. 712, 356 P.3d 1064 (2015) – (obtaining a $2 million jury verdict for condemnation of approximately 13 acres of land by Kansas City Power & Light Co. for a utility easement and maintaining this verdict on appeal).
- Time Warner Cable v. Sun Communities (Wyandotte Cty., KS 2011) (protecting the rights of a cable provider to serve customers in Kansas City, Kansas despite efforts by landowners to preclude such service).
- Pacific Fuel Co., LLC v. Shell Oil Co., No. 2:06-cv-00225-AG-AJW (C.D. Cal. 2009) (receiving a jury award of over $4 million based on a fraud perpetrated on the operator of multiple gas stations by the world’s second largest oil company).
- Kestrel Holdings I, L.L.C. v. Learjet Inc. (Sedgwick Cty., KS 2007) (prevailed in million-dollar litigation involving an airplane with manufacturing defects).